Airbnb

Where to Stay in Osaka: My first Airbnb Experience

3:06 PM

Lights, Food and Dotonbori

I have to admit, I was a little anxious about staying in an Airbnb in Osaka. We knew that this was the way to go since there are six of us in the family and this would mean renting out at least two rooms in a hotel. Indeed, renting out an apartment would be cheaper.


As I mentioned in a previous post, my family decided to stay in Namba as it is the center of city life in Japan.

As I said, I was a bit anxious about staying in an Airbnb. Of course, I was a bit worried about the neighborhood where it was located, the safety of the area and the overall feel of the apartment. You see, my brothers and I were scaring one another, saying that we will be staying an apartment haunted by Sadako or the Grudge hehe. However, I was also excited about trying Airbnb as this experience would let me travel to other places at a lower price.

We were scheduled to travel to Japan on the 31st of January. Since, it was peak season, we booked our Airbnb as early as September. Unfortunately, I do not have all the details as it was my mom who was in contact with the owner. However, a week before our trip, we received an e-mail from the owner which contained all the necessary details about our stay.

It was pretty difficult to find the apartment at first given the fact that the street signs and the map given to us are all in Japanese. Thankfully, there were two cab drivers who were kind enough to bring us to the apartment. 

We arrived at around 8pm. Our host was not there to welcome us. However, she gave us the passcode to let us in the building as well as to the bunker where the key to her apartment was contained. 


Entrance to the Apartment Building





Her apartment was located on the fourth floor. Unfortunately, there were no elevators to take us to the fourth floor. This was a bit of a hassle for us considering the fact that we had six enormous luggages with us. I found the apartment building a bit eerie though as it was pretty old compared  I was a bit scared that we were the only tenants at that time. Aside from this, there was even a time when my brothers and I saw a man running in our peripheral vision. Then again, it could have been just our imaginations.

Everything changed when we entered the apartment. It looked very modern and cozy, just like what the host advertised on Airbnb. It seemed a little small though. Then again, it is Japan. But it accommodated all six of us perfectly. 




Two queen sized beds and a sofa bed, each of which can accommodate two people.

Another downside to the apartment is that it only has one bathroom. However, the toilet is separate from the bath area, making it easier for us to get ready every morning (Thank heavens four out of six are boys).

The toilet

To make the stay of the guests more convenient, the host provides her guests with free shampoo, conditioner, body wash and hand soap. There are also free towels which you can use.

The Bath Area

There was also a small kitchen which is complete with the necessary amenities which made our stay very comfortable. There are also cup noodles, chocolates, light snacks and coffee in the kitchen.

The Kitchen

The host also provided us with a free pocket wifi which we could take us with us on our tours. I was very thankful for this pocket wifi because it made our stay a while lot easier, helping me navigate through the streets of Japan. 

Free Pocket Wifi
There's also a laundry room where we could wash and hang our clothes after using them.



There was also a flat screen TV to keep us entertained at night and a small balcony behind the beds. Unfortunately, there was also a shortage of outlets which made it pretty difficult for six travellers to charge our drained batteries at the end of a long day. 

Overall, the apartment was very comfortable. Our host provided us with hotel-like beds that guaranteed a good night's sleep. More importantly, the apartment is also conveniently located with the Namba Station located five minutes away. Aside from this, there are also ramen houses, convenience stores and supermarkets located within a stone-throw away. 

I had a very good experience with Airbnb. Now, I understand why Airbnbs are giving hotels a run for their money. I am definitely using Airbnb again!









You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi, would you be able to share the profile of the airbnb stay?

    thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I cannot find the apartment where stayed at among her listings anymore. But here's the owner's profile: https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/37544346 :)

      Delete

She Sparkles Pink